- 172 Results© 2017 Hudson Gateway Multiple Listing Service (HGMLS). All rights reserved.
The data relating to real estate for sale comes in part from HGMLS. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Cafe Realty NY are marked with the HGMLS logo and information about them includes the name of the listing broker. The information appearing herein has not been verified by the Hudson Gateway Multiple Listing Service, Inc. or by the Hudson Gateway Association of REALTORS®, Inc. (HGAR) or by any individual(s) who may be affiliated with said entities, all of whom hereby collectively and severally disclaim any and all responsibility for the accuracy of the information appearing on this web site, at any time or from time to time. All such information should be independently verified by the recipient of such data. This data is not warranted for any purpose.
Information Believed Accurate But Not Warranted. The information being provided is for the consumer's personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties in which they may be interested in purchasing.HGMLS data last updated at June 26, 2017 9:20 PM ET
- The town of Carmel is on the south border of Putnam County. There are 38,000 residents that reside in the Town of Carmel. The Town also includes three hamlets, Carmel, Mahopac and Mahopac Falls. In addition to being part of the Hudson Valley Region, the Town of Carmel holds many beautiful parks and lakes.
The Town of Carmel includes several registered historical sites such as the Gilead Cemetery, the Old Red Mills Historic Park, the Putnam County Courthouse and the Reed Memorial Library, nestled near the picturesque Lake Gleneida.
This land of Carmel was originally inhabited by Indians of the Wappingers tribe, who, in 1691 sold the property to Dutch traders. In 1697, a wealthy New York merchant, Adolph Philipse purchased the trader’s land and was granted a patent from King William III of England for the entire tract of land which is now Putnam County. Settlers who began arriving here in 1720 became tenants of the Philipse family or of the Indians.
Also, on the night of April 26th, 1777, sixteen year old Sybil Ludington made her now famous horseback ride through Carmel and Kent summoning her father’s “Ludington’s Regiment” to repulse a British attack on Danbury, CT.
After the American Revolution, the lower section of Dutchess County was split off into several new towns that would later become Putnam County in 1812. One of these towns was Carmel which was founded in April, 1795. Carmel and the surrounding area remained primarily farmland until the mid-nineteenth century.
In the early to mid-nineteenth century, Carmel and in particular, Lake Mahopac, became a popular vacation spot for city dwellers that had discovered the area’s beautiful lakes and rural charm. Beginning in 1834, hotels, boarding houses and cottages sprang up along the lakeshore allowing throngs of visitors to enjoy swimming, boating, skating and all sorts of summer and winter activities. The Mahopac Hotel, Thompson House, Dean House and Forest House were among the largest and most popular hotels. A branch of the Harlem Division Railroad arrived in 1871 making the journey from New York City to Mahopac more convenient. The New York City and Northern Railroad was built through Carmel in 1880 and included five stations within the town.
At the county seat in the hamlet of Carmel, the Webster Act of 1893 resulted in many homes and buildings being moved off the lakeshore of Lake Gleneida. Finally, the West Branch and Croton Falls Reservoirs were completed in 1898 and 1911 respectively.
COFFEE & COMMERCE
If you’re looking for made to order breakfast, and peaceful views of Lake Gleneida, check out Millie’s.
The Alley Cafe Creperie offers a bit of a different menu, but one you certainly would not want to miss! At The Alley Cafe Creperie they offer yummy options to satisfy your hunger. Have a french style crepe made in front of you, filled with fresh fruit and sauces like nutella and caramel. They also offer many soups, sandwhiches, coffees and smoothies.
Aside from the countless water activities, such as, boating and swimming, provided by the few lakes in the area, there are many parks to engage in other outdoor activites.
The Jimmy McDonough Memorial Park complex is located at the end of Angela Drive off of Long Pond Road. It features three football/soccer fields, one ninety-foot diamond, one sixty-foot diamond and an extreme skate park. This facility also has rest rooms and a food concession. It is open from late March to November.
The town of Carmel offers its residents a year round list of actives for families, children and adults. A newsletter is sent out each half of the year for fall/winter and then again spring/summer.
Carmel Central School District provides a high quality education for students within a pristine suburban setting. The District encompasses 85 square miles and serves approximately 5,000 students from six different towns.
Carmel Central School District has three elementary schools housing students in grades kindergarten through fourth; a middle school for students in grades five through eight; and a high school for students in grades nine through twelve.
All District residents can take advantage of several school district opportunities such as school plays, concerts, athletic and special events. Senior Citizens are welcome to attend all school events free of charge. The Carmel Continuing Education Program is designed to promote life-long learning. Sessions are offered in the fall and the spring and include courses in computers, business, arts & crafts, gardening, music, fitness and more.
For more information regarding town departments, boards & committees, town resources, and additional benefits for Seniors please visit the town’s website.